It’s the Jersey Fresh Time of Year!
Jersey Fresh Veggies for May!
Asparagus – All of May
It’s finally asparagus season! What a versatile vegetable – they’re wonderful raw in salads or as a crunchy snack by themselves or with your favorite dip. And of course, they’re also great as a side dish – sautéed (quick and easy – sauté with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and parmesan), grilled, roasted, or steamed and topped with a complementary sauce. Add them sliced to soups, noodle and rice dishes, or anything your heart desires.
You can keep your Jersey Fresh asparagus fresh longer by treating asparagus bundles like a bouquet of flowers – trim the ends and stand them up in a container with about 2 inches of water, leaving the elastic on. Cover them with a loose plastic bag and keep refrigerated; change the water if it gets a bit cloudy. Your asparagus should stay fresh right to the tips for a full week.
Lettuce – May 20-July 15
Jersey Fresh lettuce is, of course, perfect in salads and sandwiches, but there are even more ways you can use these healthy greens.
- Like its leafy green cousins, lettuce can be shredded and used as a soup-topper for added crunch and freshness. It can even be grilled, then topped with parmesan or dressing.
- Lettuce wraps are a great way to replace bread and get an extra serving of greens – fill them with tuna or chicken salad, meats topped with sprouts and/or shredded carrots, falafel, or use your creativity for something totally different. You can even spread the leaves with hummus, an aioli or another type of condiment for a healthful, tasty and guilt-free lunch or afternoon snack.
- Stir-fry lettuce as a side to or part of Asian dishes. Chopped lettuce can be added to rice and noodle bowls too.
Spinach – May 5-June 25
Naturally nutrient-rich, Jersey Fresh spinach is one of those leafy greens that you want to take advantage of when it’s at its peak locally. If you’re not a fan of adding crispy raw spinach to your salads, there are plenty of ways to tuck it into recipes and still get all that great nutrition.
- Replace half of the basil in your pesto recipe with spinach – you’re adding even more vitamins and minerals to your dish.
- Add chopped spinach to quiches and frittatas.
- Include shredded or chopped spinach to soups and stews.
Jersey Fresh fruits and veggies will be with us now and throughout the summer – take advantage while they last!
Lots of Mulch Varieties!
Mulch not only makes your garden and landscaping look neat and attractive, it also nourishes the soil, plants, and trees while helping the soil maintain moisture during those hot summer days. You’ll find a selection of Jolly Gardener hardwood, cedar, root and black mulch at Homestead – we even deliver locally.
Homestead’s Eco-Friendly Sustainability Initiative
Last month we told you about Lambertville’s new plastic bag ordinance that will officially take effect on January 1, 2020. We at Homestead have jumped in already with our reusable handmade t-shirt bags, each with a different look. Our reusable t-shirt bags are only $2, with proceeds going to the St. Andrew’s Thrift Shop in Lambertville. We’re also carrying mesh produce bags in a variety of sizes.
If you forget your reusable bags, just visit our Take a Bag, Leave a Bag tree, where you can pick up a bag or two for that day’s shopping at Homestead. Next time you visit, pay it forward by donating a couple of reusable bags to the tree for others to use in a pinch.
Every little bit helps to keep our beautiful Delaware River free of plastic debris while furthering our community’s sustainability and eco-friendliness. We’ll keep you up to date on the Lambertville Environmental Commission’s “Ditching Disposables” initiative and any of their special events in our blog posts and on our Facebook page. Sign up for our newsletter to stay updated in your inbox.